Powered By Blogger

Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

The Cookie

Yesterday I finally got out of the pajamas I've worn since last Wednesday, took a bath, and got dressed! I did have a good cry but while doing so I remembered something a little funny. Something that made me smile. A small sign that maybe I'm beginning to move on?

On the day before Mom died she fell into a long, deep sleep after fighting to breathe all day. Later that night I went to check on her. She must have sensed my presence because she said aloud that she was finally able to breathe! She was so very thankful for the air in her lungs and the restful sleep that she had finally been given. I smiled with a sense of joy at her peacefulness and told her how happy I was. Suddenly, out of nowhere she asked me for a cookie!

"You want a cookie, Mom?" I asked. I chuckled in astonishment at her request. My mother hadn't eaten for several days. Nothing tasted remotely good to her. Now, she was asking me for a cookie. I couldn't believe it!

"Yes, I want a 'Mother's' brand soft, iced molasses cookie from the new bag hidden in the closet in the back bedroom," she stated, matter-of-fact. "Okay, Mom, I'll get it and be right back," I answered, kissing her forehead.

I rushed out of her bedroom and found the closet she spoke of. In the midst of a stack of new paper napkins and decorated paper plates was an unopened bag of the cookies my mother spoke of. Mom had a sweet tooth and often hid her 'stash' of cookies and candy. I gently wrapped the cookie in one of the new napkins and raced back to her as fast as I could. I didn't want to lose this moment.

"Here's your cookie Mom. Do you want a little glass of milk to go with it?" I inquired. "No," she answered. "Just the cookie." I sat on the edge of Mom's bed, amazed at her sudden strength and willpower. My mother's eyes never opened but she ate her cookie!

I know to anyone reading this it must sound silly. But to me, on that particular night, watching my dying mother eat a cookie was simply pure joy.

Tonight I feel lucky. I will forever have the memory of my mother eating a soft iced, molasses cookie.

A simple cookie.

No comments: