Powered By Blogger

Pages

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Spirit

It snowed today. A beautiful drapery of white powdery flakes covered the sky from morning until evening. So lovely was the scenery that an overwhelming sense of Christmas spirit engulfed me. Suddenly I felt an urge to wrap the few Christmas presents I had purchased in the days before I flew to my parents house. Hurrying down to the basement, I gathered stored rolls of colored wrapping paper, shiny bows, and folded boxes. Trudging up the carpeted steps one-by-one, my hands and arms struggled to hold on to the menagerie of mismatch until I simply let everything fall to the floor.

One by one I pulled out gifts that needed wrapping. Gifts I had purchased (and since forgotten) in the days before I cared for my dying mother. Among them: an argyle sweater for my oldest son, Jayson; a Seinfeld trivia game for my youngest son, Justin, and a new, navy-blue golf jacket for my dear husband, Gary. There were little gifts for them too. The standard set of boxer shorts; packages of needed, white undershirts; and matching sets of slippers and socks. Three pairs of warm and woolly gloves rested nearby, each in a different color.

As I carefully cut and trimmed green, gold, and red foiled paper, a feeling of giddiness came upon me. Regardless of what had happened during the last few weeks, Christmas was coming.

The spirit of the holiday was upon me. How glorious!

No comments: