Powered By Blogger

Pages

Friday, December 24, 2010

It's a Wonderful Life

Christmas Eve is here! I arose early to start my cooking. My sons' and daughter-in-law will be here for our traditional Christmas dinner at 5:00 sharp. It will be a feast of my mother's home-made noodles (of course), ham, turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, salads, vegetables, rolls, and desserts. The table is all set with my prized Christmas china and matching crystal goblets; the presents wrapped; the traditional holiday music is playing for all to hear.

The door bell rang about 10:00 this morning. At the front door was a local flower delivery man with the most beautiful of Christmas centerpieces I had ever seen. The arrangement is made up of Christmas tree greenery, red & white sparkling candy canes, red roses, white carnations, and wired, decorated holiday ribbon. In the middle, a clear glass hurricane lamp covers a candy-cane striped pillar candle. I immediately filled the base with fresh water and opened the card. It simply read, "Love, the Kirks." For a moment I was confused. The only 'Kirks' left in my family (Kirk is my maiden name) consist of my father and two brothers. If my dad sent me the flowers, why didn't he sign it, 'Love, Dad,' or something to that effect?

After placing the flowers in the center of my dining room table (where it looked absolutely stunning) I called my father to thank him. "Hi Daddy, I got your flowers and they are beautiful," I told him, all excited. "I love them, and put them right in the middle of our dining room table. We'll light the candle tonight and all say a special prayer before dinner. They are from you, aren't they?" I asked.

"Sure, Honey, I sent them," Dad replied. "I tried to pick out something special that I thought you girls might like." He told me he sent each of my sisters the same arrangement which I knew they would adore. "Just one thing, Dad, why did you sign the card the way you did? I wasn't exactly sure who it was from." My father paused, carefully measuring his words.

"Because," he answered," the flowers are really from me and your mother," he continued in broken words. "But I didn't want to sign the card that way because I was afraid I'd make you cry." My loving father, having the forethought to comfort and protect me from crying, made himself break down once again. My father is such a special man. The most unselfish person that I've ever known. "Oh Daddy, that is such a sweet thing to do. In my heart I knew they were from both of you. You are so thoughtful."

This was an especially hard week for my father. I tried desperately to change the subject and to lighten the conversation. "Did you go swimming this morning?" I asked him. "Yes, I went to work-out early," he answered. "And, I'm having dinner with your Aunt Mary Ann (my mom's oldest sister) tonight before going to church afterward."

Happily, I told my dad how glad I was that he was having dinner with my Aunt and her family, and how peaceful I thought going to church would be for him. "The church will be beautiful I bet," I told him. You can just sit in peace, say your prayers and absorb all the Christmas pagentry."

Thanking Dad again for the flowers, I told him how much I loved him. Tomorrow he's going to my brother's home for dinner. How thankful I am that he won't be home alone on Christmas Day. Tomorrow also happens to be Dad's 78th birthday. Instead of celebrating, I bet it will be another hard hurdle for him to overcome. Another cross to bear. Not only is it going to be his first Christmas without my mother, but it will also be his first birthday without her. It almost doesn't seem fair. But life is not fair, is it? Sadly, there will be none of Dad's favorite home-made German chocolate birthday cake at his dining table this year. No little Christmas presents hidden by Mom, no special little birthday gifts set aside in order to make his birthday a special celebration apart from the other holiday. This Christmas is going to be hard. Everything is coming far too fast since she has passed. If only we could all have a little more time.

My children showed up at the house in all of their Christmas finery close to our projected dinner hour. They brought an extra set of clothes and toiletries in order to stay overnight: the perfect Christmas gift for me! Earlier today, I dressed their respective bedrooms for the holiday with red patchwork comforters, white lace bed skirts, and velvet throw pillows. Miniature snow-men night lights are just outside their doors, and their bathroom decor is now changed to candy-cane towels, crimson throw rugs, and peppermint soap. We will all celebrate the holiday together. Family: this is what Christmas is all about.

Before beginning dinner, I said a very special prayer thanking God for our many blessings; for our 'miracles.' My new daughter-in-law, Nichole joined the family this past summer and Justin is doing very well at the new job he started this past Spring. I thanked the Lord for the miracle He gave us in saving Jayson's life (and all of the others) from his car accident only two days before. And, a special blessing was said for the gift of Jayson's diabetic alert dog. He's family too, now. My 'Grand-dog.'

Without crying, I thanked God for the end to Mother's suffering and asked Him to keep her loved and close in his arms. I thanked Him for allowing her to be 'our' angel who is watching over us (as I truly believe), and asked for the gift of peace and harmony for my father in the coming year. My prayer continued a few short seconds to thank God for our generous bounty of food, our terrific family, and a wish for good will in the New Year. After 'Amen' we all dabbed a tear or two with our cloth napkins before toasting to our blessed, Christmas celebration.

Soon after dinner and dessert, the five of us changed into our more comfortable, 'Christmas' pajamas. I wore a cream-colored flannel nightgown trimmed in bright red cardinals: a subliminal message to my mom. Nichole changed into cotton-candy, pink thermal PJ's, and the guys all dressed up in new plaid flannel trousers made in various shades of greens, blues, and reds. Matching long sleeved T-shirts complimented their bottoms, and they all wore some kind of new slippers on their feet. I must say, we all looked good enough for a family portrait to be taken!

Gary started the fireplace and let our dog 'Doodles' out with Jayson's dog to play in the snow. For the first time in eight years we are having a genuine 'White Christmas.' It is beautiful. Stark tree branches now weighing heavy with piled snow look like picture postcards against the ink black evening sky. Next door, the neighbor's holiday lights are dancing on their rooftop, and across the street an inflatable 'Santa' is holding on tight to the reigns of 'Rudolph's sled.

Nichole and I brought out bowls of popcorn and cans of diet soda while the boys searched the hall closet for their favorite board games. For the next few hours our home was filled with laughter and cheer. Together, we all played 'Sorry,' 'Pictionary,' and 'Scrabble,' with Justin coming out on top every time. Tonight, our home felt much like the ending to the movie in 'It's a Wonderful Life.'

After all is said and done with God to thank for it, it really is a wonderful life.

No comments: